The annual awards will be presented at the AGM and Presentation Night Friday, 4 November 2016 at the Randwick Bowling Club – Corner The Avenue and Cowper Street, Randwick – to commence at 7:00pm.
Many of our awards cups and shields have sadly required renewing due to age so a brand new set of trophies will be presented. The passion and pride of our members has been reflected by their enthusiasm to donate to this cause and this has allowed us to replace all existing awards.
It has been an outstanding year of performances for our members and has produced many nominations for our annual awards. This is very healthy and reflects the club’s support and development mission statement. Over the next few weeks the nominations will be announced for all awards and today we start with:
The Edna Wallace Funrunner of the Year Award
- Rosemary Bridge – part of AE since 1999, one of our long term, ever inspiring, well recognised and highly respected members, who always wins her age group in local fun runs, is a huge influence on our running community, competed in 7 of the club point score runs this year and is one of the most highly active members who always attends training, all fun runs, club runs & social events.
- Mike Parker –been with the club for 6 years, often leads the runners on Saturday group runs, active member of the club, competed in 5 club races, and always participates in all club events
- Daniel Novak – been with club for several years and continues to improve, competed in 5 club races and did a 63.59 PB in the City to Surf, active member of the club, helped organise a successful City to Surf after party and is one of the highest scorers in the club point score……
The Cedric Sidebottom Encouragement Award
- Chris Zinn – joined the club last year, very active member this year, competed in 5 club runs with huge improvements shown in the Sydney Half Marathon PB of 1.39.25 which is a 13.09 improvement from 2015 (1.52.34) and finished off the year by competing in the Sydney Marathon with a PB of 4.13.27.
- Eddie Piazza – one of our long term members, shown improvement over 12 months with a PB at the Sydney Half Marathon of 1.35.56 which was a 5.49 improvement from 2015 (1.41.05) and competed in 5 club runs
- Charlie Doane – one of the newest and most active members of our club, pulled a hamstring this year and couldn’t run for 6 weeks but has comeback with a renewed vigour and competed in 4 of our club point score runs
Club Point Score
This year, for the first time, age categories were added.
Male: James Costello, Chamkaur Dhaliwal, Daniel Novak, Kevin O’Brien
First time that a four way tie has occurred, congrats to all.
Female: Rebecca Holmes. Fitting that Rebecca claimed the club point score and by doing so also became the ANSW Female Distance Runner of the year. A remarkable achievement and well deserved.
Athletics East Cross Country Champions:
Male: Ken Wilson
Female: Rebecca Holmes
Athletics East 10km Road Champions (Tony Brown 10km):
Male: Kevin O’Brien
Female: Victoria Mitchell